Coronavirus, the current burning issue that we have to deal with, is causing havoc on people physically and also mentally.
Coronavirus belong to a class of viruses that are responsible for many known diseases like SARS, MERS and now this new strain of COVID-19 is causing a respiratory disease, earlier not identified and known to have infected humans.
The most common symptoms of its infection include cough, fever, abnormal functioning of the respiratory system, leading to difficulty in breathing, it may also lead to pneumonia, kidney failure and even death in severe cases.
Which all preventive measures can we take to protect ourselves:
The following are some of the given safety tips which should be kept in mind for our protection against this virus:-
- Wearing a mask is advisable to everyone whenever they are going out or if they are coming in direct contact with someone infected or suspected of being infected. But also, it is not compulsorily required to wear a mask at all times, but wear it when in the vicinity of infected ones.
- Cover your mouth and nose while sneezing to stop the droplets of infection from getting transmitted from one person to another as this virus spreads through air droplets. Also, do take care that other people also follow the same protocol, while sneezing and better still, stay away from people suspected of being infected.
- Avoid public gatherings as this could lead to your involvement with people of all kind who may be infected with the virus and could transmit it to you.
- Do not greet people by shaking hands as they could be transmitting the virus to you. We, Indians, are very lucky to have a traditional way of salutation, that is greeting by saying Namaste which does not involve direct contact of two persons and it’s the best method to adopt in the context of the current situation.
- Preventive methods also include taking care of our diet and including food items rich in properties proven to have anti-viral effect, of virus killing capabilities or having the ability to naturally enhance our immune system. Some examples of such food items are consuming fruits rich in Vitamin C like oranges, amla, lemons as they are known to increase our immunity. Eat almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds and also start consuming the herb that is no less than a boon to all, especially Indians, that is tulsi.
- Also start practicing the habit of regular and proper washing of hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds as only this will kill all the microbes that could have been present on the surfaces of your hands. And always remember to not touch your mouth, nose and eyes with your hands without properly washing them with soap.
- Use a sanitizer in case washing with soap and water is not possible. But Sanitizers are only an alternative and not a substitute for soap and water.